Wednesday, September 25, 2013

On one of my mornings here I decided to take my bible down and read by the lighthouse for which Chipiona is famous for. It’s the fifth tallest lighthouse in the world, third in Europe, and the tallest in Spain (208ft, if I remember correctly). Also, I gotta say that I think it’s the prettiest lighthouse I’ve ever seen. Look at the stone work! It’s so perfectly round and the different hued stones give it such character.

 This was the retaining wall that faced the water. Definitely looks like it’s been here for a few years!
 Bit of a zoomed out shot of the retaining wall and the rocky coast line right in front of it.
Yeah, if I was a ship I would definitely want to know which side of the lighthouse to go towards. Uhg, I bet there’s been a vessel or two who’ve gotten too close to the lighthouse and had a lovely little run in with this mess out front!

 Here’s a close-up of what the retaining wall looks like. They definitely used what they had available to make the bricks! As the water’s eroded the outer layer you can see all the little pieces of stone and beach pebbles that are starting to fall away.
 
 This is a shot off to the north side of the lighthouse. More hotels and nasty beaches. Haha, maybe I’m being overly critical but I definitely like the sandy beaches to the south, just not a fan of having to lace up the boots to take a walk on the beach ;-)
 Hahaha, okay, I saw these paddle boats from a distance and wondered what that was attached to them. Well of course you got to have a water slide on your paddle boat! Haha, I thought that was a great idea and looked like a ton a fun (but no, I didn’t end up renting one).
 Here’s the famous cathedral of the town. It’s kind of a distant and grainy shot, I’ll try to get some close-ups later because it’s magnificent. I’ve just been too busy to scope it out yet, not on holiday ya know ;-)
 Another shot of that lovely drive leading to the beach. Ah, I love these trees! When the breeze blows through them they’re just like a bunch of huge willows and it creates the sweetest swaying effect.
Oh praises! I was sitting in my hostel room calling on various apartments and my host asked me if I wanted lunch. “I would very much enjoy a plate of food” I said struggling to hold back my enthusiasm. She then brought in this plate, which from the picture doesn’t look like much but was soooooo delicious. Those were like crock-potted bits of beef that melted in your mouth and those were homemade fries. Seriously, every bite was like, “oh, this is sooo good, I can’t wait until I have a stove”!

No comments:

Post a Comment