Friday, September 27, 2013

 Doing laundry in Spain. They don’t really do dryers here (might be for environmental reasons) so up to the rooftop I go. Little brother David, these dreads are for you man ;-) (inside joke).
 Okay, so this is my flyer for private English lessons that I’m going to put up everywhere (especially at the two bilingual institutes in my city! I had know idea I was so close to such a hotbed of English learning!) Notice anything in particular, like wrong about it? Check out the text box to the right just below the upper messag… NO SPACES!!! Arg, it’s like .5e per copy but my computer was on Spanish editing and it took out the spaces on my English textbox. I thought briefly about using them anyways… Hahaha, very briefly ;-)
YEAH!!! Imagine how stoked I was to find out that my city had a fresh fish market every day but Sunday and Monday!? I figured being a costal town that there would be some sort of market but I hadn’t gone searching or asking yet. My host at the hostel filled me in about it, she was so amazing J

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the salmon was 10.5e/kilo for these super nice slices. Okay, so that comes out to $6.45/lbs! I’m in heaven!
 Oo oo, nummy!
 Haha, okay, so here’s a little gringo story for you. The tray closest to us has clams but the other two have snails (little ones in the middle and big in the farther away). I touched the clams (yes, I was part of the population for which museums put up those annoying “do not touch” signs J and the little guys started squirting all over the place! I kind of jumped back a little and let out a little “whoa”! The guy selling them had such a good laugh. I love brightening people’s day :-/
 Oh man, these snails were so fresh that they were crawling, or sliding, or oozing, all over the tray and each other! Definitely gave me an appetite.
 Here you can get an idea of what the place looked like. There were a ton of shops closed because it was a week day but I talked to a guy in line and he said that come Saturday this whole place is hopping. Oh, and for more context there’s a whole other aisle behind the stands on the right side of the picture.
 Ah, ¡pezcado!
 Reading on the rooftop in the morning. I love how I can see the cathedral from my roost (way on in the distance in the center of the picture). I still need to get you guys some pictures of it. I’ll try to get over there this weekend I think.
 Gone all native ;-)
 A little sting ray for dinner, yeah buddy!

 Ah, what would my mother think of me. So I went to the store and bought some “laundry detergent.” Well, I throw my clothes into the washer and pour some of this stuff into the little well up top… sniff, sniff, oh no! That smells like bleach!!! AAAA, frantically I threw everything out of the washer and my clothes reeked of bleach. Ah man, I couldn’t believe it (I did manage to laugh in the moment), however as I started sorting through the clothes to get the ones with the most bleach on them away from the other I realized something fantastic. It was like all my undergarments made it on the bottom of the washer and were thus the only ones to get the bleach dose. Yes! Only one of my shirts got blessed. 

Moral of the story, read more carefully in the store. I saw lavadoras (washing machines) on it and I was like “good to go”! Uhg lol.
 My new memorabilia. Not bad at all really. The undergarments got it worst!
Okay, so imagine this, you’ve got your hair all sudsed up and all of the sudden your water supply steadily diminishes at a rapid rate. Yeah, kind of worrying and super annoying at the same time! Yeah, the water in my apartment just died all of the sudden, and then, with growing trepidation, I realized that I didn’t have the number of the owner! How did that get missed? I went over to the hostel to talk to my old host who got me the apartment (oh yeah, I found a two liter bottle of water in a cubboard so I’m without sudsy hair right now). But then I remembered that she and her husband were off on holiday until Saturday. Ah man, I thought, this is awkward. Well, nothing I could do until Saturday so I went down to this little wifi café to do some computer work (don’t quite have internet in my place but that should happen tomorrow), but the café was closed! They had this sign about being closed for the water holiday (there’s a name but I don’t remember it). I thought that was weird but when I asked a local about it she said that this time every year they shut down all the water in the city, even the pool was closed! She said that it would turn on at 10pm. Who thought up this holiday!!? Haha, at least let the foreigners know, ah boy, I thought I hadn’t paid my bills or something. Too funny J

No comments:

Post a Comment