Thursday, September 19, 2013

 The center of the city (Sevilla) was maintained as a pretty historic area and if full of shops, it’s very geared towards tourists. It was a toasty day (33C – ha, gotta interpret it just like me) and so the cover was greatly appreciated.
Some quaint streets in the city center
 Okay, so there’s this big beautiful cathedral in the middle of the city center and while we were there preparations were being made for a wedding. When we sauntered back by later we got to see the bride and groom come out (more pics on that later).
 
 And of course, what would a historic area be without the possibility of taking a hay powered vehicle among the old buildings. Great except they didn’t clean up after them too well sometimes and you had to watch your step when walking on those beautiful cobblestones :-p
  I wish I had noted the names of the buildings so I could say this is the doorway of“X” … but I didn’t so isn’t this a pretty random doorway? Haha, ah I’ll try to do better on that in the future.
 
 Nice historic looking building. Like always, I love the architecture. And where would a European building be without a couple vespas in the foreground ;-)
 This doorway was quite fantastic. The design is super Moorish with the big arch and all the detail, but interestingly, it’s a church. The statues of the saints on the sides of the doorway show the influence the church felt from the Moorish roots in the region even after the people were conquered.




 Went out to this little restaurant in the historic district with some friends I made at the hostel.
 ¡Comida exelente! In Spain sharing is tradition. Everybody orders something that peaks their interest and then everybody shares (so the sizes are pretty little). Yeah, tasty but I seriously NEVER get full!!! Ah, I cannot express how annoying it is to order food with a group, pay my 7 euros, and then have to swing by a little convenience shop and grab some fruit or milk or something to get me through to breakfast :-( this American appetite is killing me!


 The main cathedral was stunning, I have several pictures following this one but seriously, they do it absolutely no justice. It’s a massive building that Costco could have fit inside… maybe more than once.
 

 Pardon the finger in the photo. 


 Remember how I mentioned that wedding earlier, well here was the couple in their getaway car. So neat.

 Ha! I got the name of this one, la Alcázar. It was a fort near the cathedral (or maybe part of it, I missed that aspect, trust me the thing is huge).
 Terribly blury picture but I decided to use it because it shows the entrance to la Alcázar.
 Another view of the cathedral.

  I wish my iphone took better night pictures but here’s a view of the tiny streets we were walking down. Ah, I keep using this word but it fits, so quaint!
 Such an amazing structure! Designed by Santiago Calatrava (I found out for sure that he did design the bridge that I showed earlier). Quite an ornate deal. I think it was called La prada, but I’m not positive on that. It’s missing something though isn’t it?
 Still amazing and still missing something.
 
 There we go!!! American in the pic = complete. ;-p
 The hostel I stayed at in Sevilla was pretty incredible. Very nice and here’s a pic from the lobby looking up. Love the hanging plants.
 In the same hostel this is the a view from the balcony to the street. Had a nice Bible time out there. I must be starting to look like a native though because I had a native college student holler up at me for directions. The answer, “no idea dude, good luck.”
 Another pic from the balcony.
 This is a pic of the inside of the hostel dorm. 14 beds, it was interesting. The guy in the foreground is Pierce, an Irish guy here in Spain for go to college for a year.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment